I spent a pleasant afternoon in welcome sunshine walking across  the ' north face' of Butser Hill in Hampshire. From little Butser I could see Neil's domain in Sussex.  Despite there being some good habitat on Little Butser  and on Ramsdean down I did not locate any dukes but I will be back to check again.
However the story was different at Rake Bottom where I came across at least sixteen individuals with at least a couple of females. This is much more like the numbers I would expect to see in early may - hopefully they have caught up.
There seems to be two colonies here the largest in pristine habitat and the other smaller one in an area heavily grazed by rabbits,  having seen some of the areas available at Ramsdean it is a bit perplexing why they haven't been occupied yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment